Tuesday, May 06, 2008

As I travel on the road

My parents tell me that they took me travelling very often when I was a baby, and that I'd feel so comfortable in a moving vehicle that it'd take me less than 5 minutes to fall asleep. The same principle applied during Uni years when I'd travel some 30 odd hours to Austin - in the plane, I'd snooze off straight away, only getting up for the then yummier MAS meals. So it still amazes me that I keep awake whenever I'm behind the wheel. It remains one of the most therapeutic activities in my life though - helps me think and get real about where I am.

Spent 3.5 hours today on the road, driving back from Penang to PJ. Kept awake despite only 4 hours of sleep. But then I've managed PJ to Penang with only 2 before. Anyway... listened to just one song on repeat the entire journey... it just synched in with my thoughts.


Mountain of God
by Third Day

Thought that I was all alone
Broken and afraid
But You were there with me
Yes, You were there with me

And I didn't even know
That I had lost my way
But You were there with me
Yes, You were there with me

'Til You opened up my eyes
I never knew
That I couldn't ever make it
Without You

Even though the journey's long
And I know the road is hard
Well, the One who's gone before me
He will help me carry on
After all that I've been through
Now I realize the truth
That I must go through the valley
To stand upon the mountain of God

As I travel on the road
That You have led me down
You are here with me
Yes, You are here with me
I have need for nothing more
Oh, now that I have found
That You are here with me
Yes, You are here with me

I confess from time to time
I lose my way
But You are always there
To bring me back again

Sometimes I think of where it is I've come from
And the things I've left behind
But of all I've had, what I possessed
Nothing can quite compare
With what's in front of me
With what's in front of me

I thought that I was all alone
Broken and afraid
But, You are here with me
Yes, You are here with me.

---

3.5 hours actually seemed really short compared to the time it took for Poh and me to get from PJ to Penang. For some crazy reason, we took the long way round via the east coast of West Malaysia, stopping for 2 nights in Cherating and 1 night in Kota Bharu. Within the 3 days right after Charge Up!, we clocked about 18 hours drive time, touching 6 states altogether! The photo above was taken on the scenic East-West Highway across northern Malaysia.

So what did we do for the 3 days? Well, mostly, I got to sleep while Poh got to work...
and work...
...it was actually quite amazing how the Lord knew she needed internet connection and provided not only while we were at Impiana Resort but also when we were in some budget hotel in Kota Bharu and happened to get a room that was next to a kopitiam with 24-hour wifi!

When we weren't driving, sleeping (which Poh did mostly while I was driving) or working, we of course managed to squeeze in breakfast (yes, we had udang galah & sotong for breakfast in Kelantan), lunch, tea & dinner...

...release baby turtles into the sea & watch a mama turtle cover her eggs with sand (which the Ranger dug up to protect them from getting poached)...

...discover that keropok lekor not only comes fried but also BOILED =P (we really couldn't finish the latter)...

... get excited about the parking system in Kemaman, Terengganu (each lot has a number and an arrow that points to the pay machine at which you just press the number of your lot and add money for time - no need to print & put ticket on your dashboard all)...

... and observe the difference between a staired entrance of a RM99/night resort (after 60% weekday discount) & one of a RM45/night budget hotel.

A few favourite shots from the trip....

8 comments:

Lee Peng said...

Wow! That's a super long detour. Perhaps after Charge Up you guys are really charged and everyready to keep going and going and going and going ......


I love the last picture of the beach and storm clouds.

Joyce Tan said...

that's sound like a good break. happy driving...
Brandon is having measles, so we are homebound this week and he is been quarantined from the other kids. No driving for the time being :P

Oli - Stilling Your Moments - said...

Great shots! Oooh...I wish I could see the turtles too!!!!!

Mark said...

Wah I like the shot of the beach chairs and the sea in front under the shaded areas of the trees. Feels so relaxing! Wish I was there sitting on those chairs enjoying a cool drink instead of being in the office :P

Ian Shepherd Salang said...

wait a minute!

who was taking the pictures???

the boggler said...

Er... I was... except for the shots of me getting ready to eat food, holding the lil turtle and standing on the stairs. Those was taken by Poh. If you were referring to the shot with both of us in it, then nobody was behind the camera when it clicked. ;)

the boggler said...

Impiana was a really nice & affordable resort... the room had character, the beach wasn't cluttered with trash or tourists... I actually wish we had had more time to relax on those chairs and enjoy the beach and to fly my brother's parafoil quadline kite!! And that last picture of the storm cloud really cannot compare with the magnificence of standing there. I had actually left my camera in the room and was charging the battery but when I saw the clouds moving in, I ran back to get it. I couldn't even fit the entirety of the view it into my 18mm frame. This is part of a stitch of just 4 of the shots I took.

Unknown said...

woww.... the photos taken are WOW!!!.. we can share same interest, i'm going to own Sony A200W, what do think? =) Grace of God be with u