Saturday, August 07, 2004

Open Up the Doors

I'm a perfectionist. At university, I used to stare at an empty page (which later evolved into screen) for hours, days even, before I started writing, continuing, and finishing my papers. This soon cultivated into a phobia of embarking on essays which in turn enhanced my habit to procrastinate. It wasn't because I didn't know what to write... I just had an uncontrollable need for every word to be the right and perfect one. In the end, I was either late or in a last-minute frenzy. Well, actually, my friends were in a frenzy and I was just high on concentrated adrenaline!

It was a difficult relationship - writing and I. Make no mistake, I loved the craft but it was just too painful in crafting. So I narrowed down my words and broadened my vision. To photograph. To videograph. They came much easier. and more importantly, much faster to me. They filled in the gaps when words, phrases, sentences were still hiding in my head, heart & thesaurus.



So this is my timid re-entry into a world of words. A double entry, if you like. Of both visuals and words. In hope that the journey through passages that take me from darkness to light may be a more memorable and meaningful one.

"On arrival, they got the church together and reported on their trip, telling in detail how God had used them to throw the door of faith wide open so people of all nations could come streaming in." (Acts14:27)

0 comments: